Monday, January 24, 2011

Living Life in the Negative…

It was in the negatives again (-3 with the wind chill) when the teenager walked to school this morning.

I’ll be honest…

There have been days when I drove the teenager the long block to school.

Taken sometime last April, or even May, when the snowy icy crystals around town were absolutely fantabulous! 

I worried that he might get frost bite during the four-minute walk in the gusting wind and with wind chill temps registering -6, -12 or -21.

This was taken on a good day--sometimes it's impossible to see the school buildings just across the field.

We are, after all, used to more temperate climes of the Mid-Atlantic.

Besides, the teenager continues to insist on wearing just his hoodie.

Then I began to notice his classmates, both guys and gals, dressed just as idiotically as the teenager trudging across the icy tundra wearing…shorts!

The trudge across the tundra...

Okay.  So these kids were born and raised here and their dermis layers more likely resemble those of a whale, arctic seal or polar bear.

The older UDub kids aren’t any better…last January I wrote about university kids who attend class in shorts and flip flops during the middle of January and February, or whenever the temps hover upwards of freezing.

Even I have to admit, however, I wear less outerwear here than on the EC on most days, unless the ubiquitous Wyoming wind is really blowing. 

Then outcomes my EC outerwear. 

Ironic, no?

Stay toasty out there…

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! lol!:) I never really have adjusted that well to the climate (especially Laramie) so you won't find me out there in flip flops :):)- too many years in AZ, I suppose.

    Hope studies are going well this semester and I must once again hang my head in shame as I apologize for not having you guys over yet. :( Please don't lose out hope on us. :) I will be in touch- I really do promise!

    ReplyDelete