Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rush Hour...


[This is not the photo I wanted but it will have to do.]

Believe it or not, we have (what I've dubbed) little rush hour traffic jams here in Laramie.
For reasons I can’t quite phantom…but I’m sure have to do with zoning and infrastructure, and other things my little brain can’t grasp…Laramie neighborhoods (unless you live outside the city limits) are mostly jammed together like a lot of Arlington (and larger city) homes…nearly on top of each other.

S keeps telling me that you don’t need much personal space or a yard here because there’s so much outside space to go biking, hiking, etc. Don’t get me wrong, there are yards here...and like at home, some are larger than others...but the homes are surprisingly so very close together.
So much land…yet so little personal space.

It should be noted that there are also several really very nice and lovely city parks. We have one, albeit small, directly across the street from us.

For a town this size, Laramie seems to have a LOT of schools (elementary that is…as there are only two middle schools and one H.S.). The city speed limit is 30mph, with the exception being around the schools, which is an enforced 20 mph (a good thing!) during morning and afternoon “rush” hours. It also seems that there are just as many pedestrians (and many, many more bikers) in this town as in D.C., or at least around the schools and the University. Add to this mix, the blazingly bright Sun, which can interfer with one's sight, and I find myself getting anxious driving during the morning school rush. So much to watch out for that I find I would much rather deal with D.C. traffic at the moment. I know...sounds crazy!

For my Jamestown friends: at this point in time, pick-up and drop off at Jamestown was clearly a piece of cake! At J’s new school, which is the Educational Building on the University campus, street parking is virtually non-existent and/or by permit only, which I don’t have. Access into his school is either from the campus (no street) or through a University parking lot. I just figured out drop-off this morning (as we go early enough I can pull into the parking lot and drop him at back door), but pick-up is another story: thus far it’s double parking in a fully packed parking lot with a mix of parents and kids passing through. Think: Lots of cars and little kids on the same path.

It’s closing on 3 pm here and I’m starting to get anxious, knowing that I need to figure out how to get my young man. Who would have thought….

Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll look back at this post and laugh at myself for being so silly!

Thanks for checking in…

No comments:

Post a Comment