Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Untitled

I am saddened this morning by the news of the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy.

I was 14 at the time of Chappaquiddick and for a good portion of my life, I remember Ted Kennedy being the butt of jokes and in the press for tabloid-esque behaviors. Not wanting to get political, all I will say is that I admired his passion, his seemingly tireless energy, his ability to move beyond his transgressions to do good works, and his ability to earn the grudging respect and admiration of those who would be his enemies.

Somehow, the news of Senator Kennedy’s passing leaves me feeling so very far away. As I write this, funeral arrangements are yet unknown. I don’t know if any memorial services will take place in D.C., but I would want to pay my respects if I were still at home. Watching the news on MSNBC or listening to NPR momentarily transports me back home, but then I become aware of my surroundings and realize…I’m a world away from D.C.

Thanks for checking in…

No comments:

Post a Comment