Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Maiden (Road) Voyage

Yesterday, we drove out to the summer home of some friends, located just east of Centennial and the Snowy Range Ski Lodge and approximately 30 miles or so due west of Laramie.

There were six of us—my folks and a friend of the teenager’s in from Maryland were still in town, leftovers from the Bar Mitzvah.

None of our cars fit six, so I followed behind the Legal Dude in my car.

It was my first maiden voyage driving solo on one of Wyoming’s innumerable two lane highways.

Internet Map

I30, or Snowy Range Road, moseys westward to Snowy Range, which is open only up to the ski lodge during the winter months due to snow beyond that point, but re-opens during the summer months for fishing, camping, and hiking to points beyond.

There were more cars on the road than I would have preferred, since it was after all a holiday weekend and travelers were returning from hiking, fishing and camping, but it wasn’t so horrible.

I did, however, have to pry my knuckles from the steering wheel once we arrived at our destination.

Following behind the Legal Dude provided a sense of comfort, although heading back to Laramie, I did take the lead as he followed behind.

I didn’t pass, nor did any cars pass me in either direction, although there were two occasions when I started to sweat and worry.

I’m not ready to jump in the car and do it again anytime soon, but at least it's a start...

1 comment:

  1. What? White knuckles? I love that drive. Sorry it wasn't to your liking just yet. I'd think it has to be tons better than battling city traffic on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete