Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My first riding lesson was today.

Our friend's daughter. We gave her a gift of her first riding lesson
 The horse is Astro. 

He’s a Morgan. 

Morgans are compact, not too large, which is good for me since there’s less distance to fall.
We had to postpone twice due to frigid weather.  

While we ride in a barn, it is not heated and like everyplace else here in Wyoming, is subject to the strong Wyoming winds.  
  
Today I learned to steer (reign, I guess), trot and I tried to “post.”

Posting is when you bounce up and down while trotting or galloping.

You raise yourself up in the stirrups.

It supposedly doesn’t hurt the bum so much when bouncing up and down.

You use your legs, back and ab muscles and need to stay in rhythm with the horse while hanging on.

Oh, and you’re supposed to steer (reign) too!

One more thing—you’re supposed to post up while the horse is raising his right leg. 

It’s a lot to remember.

It’s hard work!

My lesson is an hour long. Fifteen or so of those minutes is learning to bridal Astro, walk him and a few other things. 

I was exhausted after riding 35 minutes!

I am, though, determined to learn how to ride so I can tick off yet another notch on my way to becoming a frontier woman.

Or maybe, it will be my one and only notch…   

No comments:

Post a Comment