Monday, April 12, 2010

Frontier Woman goes...local

Yesterday I went to a food symposium held on campus.



It was for local food providers and consumers.

I went because of my love affair with the Laramie Farmer’s Market and as the result of a Food, Health and Safety Conference I attended, also on campus, last September.

I would love to support the local ranchers and growers.



The problem with the latter is that the growing season in Laramie is so darn short

So a main interest in attending yesterday’s symposium was the breakout session on food preservation.



Unfortunately, it was only an overview and I need something more in-depth, like classes, mainly because the whole process frightens me: botulism, pressure cookers, etc.

I’m hoping some classes or “how-to” sessions will be held here in Laramie this spring.

Or perhaps I can just hook up with local experts who will let me watch and participate so that come July and August, I can start to “put-up” my own goods for the winter.

Then again, the drying and freezing process seems simple enough, although it was recommended that we use a “drying machine,” given the constant Wyoming winds.


Just another task to add to my list of things to learn that a "Frontier Woman" knows and does.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!! There used to be a 'Master Canner' class, similar to 'Master Gardener Class' put on by the Extension Svs. We have lots of renewed interest in canning out here as well... Hope the University Extension takes the lead and get's on it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete