Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Life of Pi…

Excerpt from an e-mail from the teenager’s reading teacher…

“At this point, all I can say is "WOW!" This is an adult text that your kids are discussing, and at a phenomenal level of sophistication. In fact, the two youngest members led the first two discussions, one about anthropomorphism and one about religion, and I am amazed at how well they have done -- better than most grown-up teachers that I've had for sure. The questions they are asking are unbelievable. I honestly did not expect the discussions about religion to go so deep this quickly...”

The teenager isn’t crazy about the applied learning theory strategy used at his school. He say’s he’d rather be “taught, taught.”

I don’t know, the concept sounds good, "in theory."

He says the book is tough, but that they do have interesting discussions.

Yesterday they sat outside for the afore-referenced discussion. I saw them sitting there as I made my way to my afternoon class.

This morning they walked to the union to eat and drink while they continued their discussion.


The teenager hasn’t complained once about having to read this book.

Not even when he had to read several chapters this afternoon, after his Hebrew lesson.

In fact, he hasn’t complained about much this past week.

I know it won’t last, but it sure is nice while it does.


I'm feeling kind of proud right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment