Thursday, November 5, 2009

And now…Just one of the few things to dislike about small town Laramie

I’ve been waxing and waning lately about what’s to like about small town Laramie…

Well…time for a teeny bit of reversal on that note, but not much.

I just heard (and felt) a large boom in the house.

The house shook for just half a second.

I immediately went outside to make sure a car hadn’t rammed into the house.

Nope. No car sticking halfway into our house or garage.

I tentatively made my way downstairs…to check on the furnace and hot water heater.

Nada.

Several weeks ago a transformer blew in West Laramie and the law school went dark…in the middle of “Legal Dude’s*” class.

Dedicated Legal Dude that he is, class continued.

The transformer didn’t affect our part of town.

So I just text-ed the Legal Dude…nope, didn’t hear a thing.

Legal Dude told me to go outside, walk the perimeter and check the foundation.

Like, really. I wouldn’t notice if the house was sinking from the inside?!

Hey…he’s a Legal Dude.

Their minds work in strange and mysterious ways.

Legal Dude also told me to check for cracks in the furnace and hot water heater.

Like, duh. Already did that.

Anyway…can’t see anything amiss and I’d REALLY like to know what the boom was/is.

So…the reason for my post title is ‘cause here’s the deal…

I don’t know of anyway easy way to find out just what’s up, other than knocking on my neighbor’s doors, which I might just do.

Back home…I could turn on the news…or I’d get a county alert text on my phone and/or an e-mail message.

Or friends would call to check around.

Here...I have a hard enough time just finding the local news.

And mostly it’s from Cheyenne and/or Casper…miles and miles away.

It's one of the things I really miss about back home...instant news.

Just had a marvelous thought though…

Gonna go check the WPR website!

Be back later…

* Just tired of referring to him as "S".

1 comment:

  1. Freaky weird stuff!

    Our hot water heater does strange loud booms... but not earth shaking.. in winter, ice/snow on older roofs makes loud 'booms' on roofs and then comes crashing down..there is a word for it.. but it is escaping me right now. Any ice on your roof? Any ice/snow that just fell in the yard? BTW - you don't want to be standing under it when it comes crashing down.. that's what it does.. crash!

    I'd go knock on the neighbors... wait.. What if they shot one another - and that is what you heard?? Just kiddin'! Good thing your man is a Legal Dude!

    ReplyDelete