Friday, November 6, 2009

Rosanne Cash and “The List”

It’s parent/teacher conference time, so the teenager was home yesterday and again today.

We hung at home yesterday…piddling around and taking a break from the normal school, errand and house routines.

I listen to WPR when I’m home…both the news and the morning music program.

We have the whole house intercom system so news and music follows me wherever I go…am.

The teenager (and his Legal Dude, dad) don’t like to have whole-house news and music when they’re home.

So…I turn down the volume on all the intercoms except for the room where I’m working, playing, etc.

This morning it’s bothering the teenager.

So I’ve pulled out my rusty old boom box and put this cd on the spinner.



I heard her interviewed on “Fresh Air” with Terri Gross several weeks back.

Thanks to my dad, I am a longstanding fan of…the “Man in Black.”

I grew up listening to that gravelly voice and it’s probably one of the reasons I love folk, bluegrass and (the old style) country music.

So, I was intrigued when I heard the story about “The List,” 100 essential country songs that her dad gave her to listen to…and told her to learn…when she was 18 and primarily a fan of rock music.

According to Rosanne Cash…”The list encompasses critical moments in the evolution of American music…Southern American music, folk and protest songs, Southern Blues and gospel and Appalachian music.”

You can read about it here at http://www.the9513.com/rosanne-cash-discusses-the-list/ and
So if you like the “Man in Black,” folk, bluegrass, country, blues and/or rock music…then this album is for you.

The Boss joins Rosanne on “Sea of Heartbreak, which you can hear here http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/30138422/rolling_stones_2009_fall_music_preview/8.

The likes of Elvis Costello, Rufus Wainwright and Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy can also be heard on the cd.

And if you listen hard enough…you can almost hear the “Man in Black” in the background.

Now I’m being kicked off MY laptop, by whom else...the teenager.

So I’m off to listen to more of “The List.”

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that UJ was into Johnny Cash.
    That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete