Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cinnamon toast, with a twist….

This cinnamon/sugar mix sprinkled on the rugelach before baking, reminded me of something that happened to the Older Bro, the “one who was ever so mean to me,” when I was a child.



He stopped being mean long ago and “claims” he doesn’t remember being that way.

I remember enough for the both of us.

Anyway, mom used to make orange pomanders for Christmas.

One year, a mixture of cloves, ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and orris root powder was sitting in a bowl on the kitchen counter.

Older Bro came in, decided to make some toast and topped it with the “cinnamon/sugar” mix before going along his merry way.

He made a mess, spilling some of the mixture on the counter so mom immediately knew someone had been into it.

I can laugh now, at the look on his face, while mom called the pharmacist to see if there were any adverse affects from ingesting orris root powder, which is typically used in making potpourri, to preserve dried flowers and in making perfumery.

If you see him, ask him about it.

But don’t tell him you heard it from me.

Who says you can’t live to see revenge?!

No comments:

Post a Comment