Thursday, February 11, 2010

Semantics and second-guessing…

5 Chapters, 221 pages = 80 multiple choice questions.

Grades won’t be posted until next Tuesday, but I passed.

Actually, I was feeling pretty good about how well I might have passed.

Not a 100% passing, which is what I was (am) aiming for, but it is after all the first exam I've taken in three decades.

My fear had been that I would sit down, look at the exam and completely and totally blank out and then go running (and sobbing) from the room.

That didn’t happen, but now I’m beginning to second-guess myself.

Did I really know as many correct answers as I thought I did?

I think I did, but I’m pretty certain I got the ‘clinical interview’ question wrong, even though I knew the material.

I found I had a problem with the “semantics” of several of the questions. I guess that will change over time as my brain readjusts.

Thought I would share a clinical interview exchange, from my textbook, between Piaget and a 3 year old…

Where does the dream come from?---I think you sleep so well that you dream.---Does it come from us or from outside?---From outside.---When you are in bed and you dream, where is the dream?---In my bed, under the blanket. I don’t really know. If it was in my stomach, the bones would be in the way and I shouldn’t see it.---Is the dream there when you sleep?---Yes. It is in the bed beside me. (Piaget, 1926/1930, pp. 97-98)

Aww...

No comments:

Post a Comment