Monday, September 21, 2009

Experimenting with Emu…

I recently learned that Emu is a rather large bird…like in the Ostrich family.


[My apologies for not having information to give credit where credit is due for this adorable photo.]

We also recently learned that Emu meat is low in fat.

So we decided to give some ground Emu a try.



Before cooking…



and after...


Looks just like ground beef!

The meat had a rather sweet taste, but required a ton of seasonings for our taste buds.

As advertised, it was low in fat and oil.

We’ll give it another go…maybe as a steak.

(With sincere apologies to our vegetarian and vegan friends!)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Emu photo!!! Cracks me up:)

    And the name of the packing plant... Hilarious!!!!!

    I'm twisted.. what can I say???

    I have a theory.. If you have to season, marinate, or spice up a meat, it ain't your thing!!! It should stand on it's own.. Hence, no pork for me... Gag...

    ReplyDelete