Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My "tweet" of the day...

I'm shelving the many many boxes of books the "teenager" no longer wants in his room.

You know. The little board books (i.e., Good Night Moon, Jamberry, The Going to Bed Book, Brown Bear), colorful and only slightly scary Halloween books, and those fabulous picture books by the likes of Chris Van Allsburg.

I have a hard time getting rid of (or giving away) books, especially children's books. We did give quite a few to the local charities back home, but so many of these books hold special memories for me.

Besides, I can always use them in the classroom...whenever I land in a classroom again.

But...my heart is sad as I place these books on the book shelves in the lower level (read: basement) where they've been relegated---nay, banned---by the "teenager."

Each book evokes a memory for me of those many hours we spent looking, reading, touching and talking about the stories and illustrations.

And once again, I'm reminded that my little boy...is no longer little.

I'm hoping that one day he will re-discover the wonder of these books, and the memories they may hold for him.

Sigh...

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain!!!
    Now, my husband kept lots of the books from his childhood...or I should say, his mother did! Collectors editions now, might I say! So we got to decorate the nursery with some beautiful classics.. and you know what? They will stay, and be read to Grandchildren.. Or, passed on to our kids when they have their families... My favorite part is reading the inside covers and seeing messages from so long ago! They reside in the top of a closet..

    ReplyDelete