Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tweet Update…



Note: Just heard on WPR that there is a “high wind advisory” in Southeastern Wyoming…that’s us!

And the teenager (and his dad) rode their bikes to school today!

Remember the recycling bin?

Well, I had to put that baby on our front porch, snug-like-a-bug in the corner near the front door…or so I thought.

Soon afterwards, I heard a bang. The bin had toppled over.

And that’s when I saw them….all these plastic bottles hurtling down the street.

We live one house off of a fairly well traveled road (mostly during morning and evening rush) and I didn’t want any of the bottles hurtling into the path of oncoming traffic (or any kid-lets biking to school).

So…even though they weren’t our bottles--- good citizen that I am, thanks to mom and dad---I went out and chased after them to put in our recycle bin.

I’ve now placed our somewhat substantial pumpkin in front to (hopefully) brace the bin.

We’ll see what happens. Guess I’ll be hanging close to the front door this morning.

Oh yeah. When I went to close the front door…it felt like I was pushing against the entire UWYO football team!!!

Gees…

If you remember from the photos, we have this expanse of open land in front of our lot, which is the Junior High’s football and track fields.

So…lots of open space in front of our house, which is the direction where the usual westerly winds seem to come from.

Sigh…

Not that we had much of a choice, but wish I had realized this before we purchased this house.

Although I’m not sure that too many homes here are immune to wind and snow.

The other house we considered may be situated on a cul du sac with lots of other homes to block it, but it too faces west.

And I bet when the wind blows, since it is situated in that snug circle, the snow lands on its front door, which I hear is also a problem for many of the homes here.

Oh well…

I guess I’ll have to reconsider putting up my many usual Halloween decorations.

I’m afraid they’d end up strewn all over the neighborhood.

Double sigh…

Just one of the adjustments of a young (it sounds better) Easterner making her way in this land some call the wild…wild…West!

Thanks for taking a peek.

1 comment:

  1. Tee hee! Gotta love that wind! Last year our BBQ went sailing off our deck..propane tank and all! we forgot to lock the wheels.. and it ended up on it's side with a few broken parts!

    And, allow me to introduce you to Snow Drifts! Here's how it happens... The wind blows the snow, hits an object, like a tree, or fence, or side of a building, then dumps all that snow.. Then, as the wind continues to blow, that pile grows and lengthens around the tree!! So, chances are girl, if the wind is coming toward your house, so will the drifts!!!!
    Got a snow shovel? Snow plow? Blade on the front of your rig? Invest.. now...
    We make trails around our place with our snow shovels.. to get to the out buildings for feeding and watering critters... It's hilarious... The chickens walk in them, as well as all the critters...

    ReplyDelete