Thursday, September 17, 2009

Life…with a teenager

Who is this strange young man who looks amazingly like our son, but increasingly has the personality of a lemon…sour!

We’ll…maybe not ALL the time.

Who is this contrary young man who refutes and rebuts everything we say?

Who is this boy, whose recent favorite phrase---“That’s just awesome”---really means “Would you please just leave me alone.”

How did this happen?

When did he become this…teenager (especially without our knowledge or our consent)?

It seems like it just happened…overnight.

When we arrived in Laramie, he still resembled our “little” boy…albeit, maturing.

In three short weeks he’s become someone we’ve never met before.

I’m not sure I like it. Not so much that he’s becoming non-communicative, or a smart aleck or full of sarcasm.

No. What I don’t like…what scares me…is my boy, nay, my “child,” is growing up.

I’m just not ready for it---not now.

Too much has changed in our lives. Too many firsts and new beginnings are fast coming our way and I’m just not ready to share my home with…a teenager.

[Sigh…]

Someone just told me that 13 year olds “disappear,” but then they return...around age 20.

[Double sigh…]

Yep. Life...it’s a changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment