Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My town: A walking photo tour...

I couldn't get back to sleep after the Legal Dude took off at 3:30 am for an early morning flight to D.C. So after the sun came up, I drove downtown to take some photos for a "walking photo tour."

I was surprised by all the cars on the streets so early in the morning and couldn't get the shots I wanted.

Banks, hair salons and bars seem to be the three most prominent businesses in Laramie.

Mile for mile, I bet Laramie has more hair salons than North Arlington.

Citrus Salon is where I take my hair.


I chanced upon it shortly after moving here and I’ve been happy ever since.

The inside is small and old, but they’ve created a rustic, almost grunge, cool and funky atmosphere with paint and fabric.

Again, mile for mile I bet Laramie has more bars than North Arlington.



We haven’t had the opportunity to frequent any of the bars, primarily 'cause we’re not into the drinking scene but also because we're not into hanging with the younger college set---not that we have anything against the college set, other than that it would make us feel really, really old.



We are hoping to check out the Front Street Lounge sometime soon though.


It’s owned and operated by Sweet Melissa’s, the vegetarian restaurant right next door, which I find to be a rather interesting mix.

We hear it’s a nice place---perhaps a nice venue for the “older set” to sit, chat and catch up.

We have been here though…


to Laramie’s one and only wine bar, which is a pretty cool place, especially the upstairs, although it’s always been empty when we've been there so we’re hoping it manages to stay in business.

Laramie also has quite a few “drive-through” liquor stores, which I find pretty amazing, in a college town!

What ARE they thinking?

But on to my favorite shops…

The quilt shop, where they sell some really cool fabrics, including western themes and patterns that I find myself warming to.

The shop next to it has some cute western themed tchotchkes.



The owner of this bead shop, alas, is looking to sell. I hope the store doesn't close down.



Some day soon, I plan to take some knitting and crocheting lessons at the Cowgirl Yarn Shop. In the meantime, I’m content to look and oh and ah.



Ms. Etta’s is a contingency shop for local artisans and where I market and sell some of my cards and crafts!

I do have to pay a monthly “rental” fee but I find it's an easy and non-intimidating venue to market and sell my wares.



This shop needs no introduction...



Good or bad, there are no big box Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstores here in Laramie, just two books stores (alas, a third shop recently closed) and one used bookstore.

/

One of the two Coal Creek Coffee shops, where I meet friends for coffee…


and were one can also sip wine, beer and Italian hot toddies, which we did on a recent Sunday evening with friends.

Now these last two shops might not look like much from the outside, but behind these glass doors....there's some pretty cool food stuff---Whole Food’s-esque and organic items, all a bit pricey but a lovely to option to have.



Thanks for taking this little walking tour of my little town.

Sad to say, tomorrow I might just have more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment