Sunday, January 3, 2010

Calling…Home



Back in early November, we had dinner at the Little Tyke’s house.

After dinner, the four of us (adults) sat around sipping wine and chatting.

I made a reference to “back home” in Arlington…Washington, D.C.

Little Tyke’s dad gave me a quizzical look and asked, “So when are you going to stop saying…back home?”

Little Tyke’s family is most recently from the east coast also, but his parents have lived in many places…around the world.

I have since given his question a lot of thought and wondered “if” and when I would be able to stop referring to our home in Arlington as “back home.”

The answer came quite unexpectedly…quite naturally…and quite uneventfully.

I was in Chicago when I told my family…”I’d rather take the weather back home than what you have in Chicago.”

And I wasn’t talking about Arlington.

It’s nice to have a place to really call “home” again…and to feel like I’m really “at” home, which is how I felt when we pulled in to Laramie after our travels over the winter break.

Hope you’ve all made it safely back to your home…if you traveled over the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have caught up with your posts and just want to say I thoroughly enjoy reading what you have to say!

    I can't believe that pile of snow in your yard! That was not very nice of whoever did that. And, loved the posts about the sweet "Little Tyke" and your "Legal Dude." Anyway, we will be in touch soon! Can't wait to have you guys over. :)

    Happy New Year! (PS- starting a new tradition out here for New Year's sounds marvelous!)

    ReplyDelete