Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Word for the day…

Fu•tile
Pronunciation: \ˈfyü-təl, ˈfyü-ˌtī(-ə)l\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin futilis brittle, pointless, probably from fu- (akin to fundere to pour)
Date: circa 1555
1 : serving no useful purpose : completely ineffective
2 : occupied with trifles
(Courtesy: Merriam-Webster on-line)

We are having some winter-weather today…weather that is heading your way, my peeps.

So sorry…

Earlier this afternoon the junior high was obscured by the falling snow.

Tiny light flakes…the kind that gives the air a grey and misty, swirly look and …if you don’t have to shovel…very Grandma Moses pretty.

But…I’ve been out twice this afternoon and this second time…futile.

Completely and totally ineffective against the blowing Wyoming Winds…

Drifts over a foot…where I had shoveled just an hour ago.

Drifts…filling in behind me, even before I can shovel away the snow in front of me.

Futile.

Wish I could capture it for you…but I think I need a better camera.

But…maybe you can get a glimpse from this site, WDOT Web cam

And you know what?

The locals say that the real snow fall doesn’t come until after February.

I think this will be a winter to remember…for a lot of us around the country.

1 comment:

  1. We had a horrible ice storm... raining then turned to ice.. the roads were horrible yesterday morning! Strange weather over here... we get snow, then the temp rises, and we get slush and yuck and ice...

    I'd rather have snow.. even though it's no fun when you get boatloads, it sure makes for a beautiful summer! And we need it for irrigating, and the critters....

    You were wise to hire the snowplow dudes!

    ReplyDelete